I graduated college in 1996. This was a great year for me. I moved home where I was fed and loved by my family. I worked for a small software company doing Visual Cobol who went bust. I was a hard worker and never said no to an opportunity. When the company went bust, I worked at a local concrete factory until I got into a factory automation job. Now I am where I am and boy did I learn a lot. Some of what I learned is from making mistakes and some I learned by mentors and leaders in my life.
What I learned from my family:
- Working hard always pays off in the long run.
- If you do not like what you are doing, find something you do enjoy
- Always be honest
- If you do not work, you will not have money. If you work hard, everything works out.
- Family will always be there in the end.
What I learned from my career:
- Kids out of college know more than I do about the current technology and methodologies – listen to them
- You cannot know everything, so listen with an open mind
- Own up to your mistakes, you are human
- Find a balance of family, friends and career – you will be happier
- Money is not everything, a new career with less money is often worth the opportunity
- You can learn anything if you listen, work hard and communicate. Do not be afraid to ask questions
- Be yourself – Be true to yourself.
- Love what you do and your work will love you back
Some of my biggest mistakes
- Did not follow my heart
- Let my wallet decide my career path
- Not asking enough questions
- Worried too much about the future
- Not knowing how to communicate
- Did not look before I leaped – career change
- Not appreciate what I had or was given
- Everyone’s favourite : Foot In Mouth ( getting better at not doing this )
The best things I did for myself
- Pay for most of my own schooling
- Learn to work hard – parents played an important role
- Surround myself with people of self-worth
- Learn to communicate ( Toastmasters )
- Decide to live for my family
Take what you want from this. Mistakes are fine if you learn from them and own up to them. You are human. Find a life good balance. Listen to those around you as you cannot know everything. Learning is a life journey that I enjoy, because I accepted the fact that I am not perfect.